Thursday, January 11, 2007

Ship Happens

Got a quote from a different Allied Movers affiliate that smokes Tippet-Richardsons by $650. They have the ground-breaking logistical innovation of "putting my stuff in a truck with other peoples things going the same way". Real rocket scientists this bunch. Tippet could take notes.

Thanks for the welcomes Kyle, and in regards to cube-vans and the like, it's a very real option. Trouble is, the distance I'm going the cost works out to only a few hundred less than having it moved... and the downside of, y'know, spending 29 hours driving a cube-van. Add in any possible complications or delays that may arise during a late February cross-Canada drive and the math starts looking a little unappealing. But they say long-haul trucking builds character. And hemorrhoids.

In non mesh-backed news, I made my pending ending of employment official today, with the "here's the date" announcement to management. (Feb 23rd last day) Gives adequate time to get my house in order, get a couple weeks of job shadow for whoever inherits my accounts so the transition is smooth like five blades , with the precision of one. I'm feeling really good about how disengaging from the company is going, very much on the best of terms with a clear invitation to come back in the future or go international if it's in the cards. You never know, eh?

2 comments:

Eldorado said...

I never really factored in the fact that you'd be driving in the middle of winter (or Sprinter, as I have come to call it this year). Just be careful of that stupid Smarch weather... (that's not a typo. if you didn't catch it then I'm not going to expose myself as someone who used to watch the simpsons. a LOT. eep - i think it's too late.)

Sometimes it's just plain worth it to pay someone to do a job for you. I understand that completely, and think it's probably the best option. Good luck with the move! You're going to love it out there. I've been out quite a few times when my dad worked out there for 2.5 years back in the early 90's. At the time you're going, though... be ready for some pretty wet weather.

When the summer rolls around, be sure to check out the Busker festivals... really neat stuff going on there. Not like Toronto Buskers that basically consist of hairy men sleeping on boxes, and the odd (frighteningly fat) pigeon.

...two separate ideas there - the guys dont sleep on fat pigeons.

Ching said...

Oh look at you go Kyle...no intro needed on my end.

All this writing drenched in friendly helpfulness...it's just a trick to get on my good side right?!

I'm on to ya. *gives evil eye*